20 May 2013

Great Link: A Podcast on the Morality of Gun Control

(New favorite image lifted from the web for my blog.) 
 

***

It is clearly wrong to take someone's gun away as they are about to be murdered?  You are violating that person's right to self defense? Essentially you are complicit in that person's murder?  Correct?

Jeff McMahan (on the Philosophy Bites Podcast) argues that "self defense" is not a fundamental right, rather, "personal security" is a fundamental right and private gun ownership violates this right. 
http://philosophybites.com/2013/02/jeff-mcmahan-on-gun-control.html

Just look at the statistics people!
The U.S., with 4.5 percent of the world population, accounts for about 40 percent of the planet's civilian firearms, said Dr. Garen Wintemute, of the University of California, Davis, Medical Center.

I have not been writing lately (a lot of grading at the end of the spring semester this year), but as I ramp up my own writing I wanted to start posting again.  So I am starting slow, with a link, but a good one! 


*** To my valued readers: I have not been writing lately (a lot of grading at the end of the spring semester this year), but as I ramp up my own writing I wanted to start posting again.  So I am starting slow, with a link, but a very good one! The following is about a great episode from this past February of one of my favorite online shows. 

Philosophy Bites is a great podcast! Simple and short (usually about 15 minutes) on topics from current cultural processes all the way to philosophy's biggest questions.  I highly recommend a listen to a couple episodes.  I have found that the episodes often stimulate new lines of thought / perspectives in my own thinking.   The debt I feel from the free stimulation I have received leads me to link to them today.

No comments: